City of Leander
COVID-19 Emergency Business Grant Program
Grant Program Background
On April 8th, the Leander City Council approved a COVID-19 Emergency Business Grant program to provide working capital for personnel costs, rent, utilities and critical business equipment or supplies for existing small businesses within the city of Leander, Texas, that are experiencing a loss of business due to the COVID-19 crisis. The city’s existing Old Town Incentive Grant, which has $208,000 in unused funds in 2020, will serve as the program’s funding source.
Qualified applicants will be eligible for economic development grants in the amount of $2,500 and $5,000, for businesses who can demonstrate direct negative impacts on their business related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Award amounts will depend on demonstrated factors such as financial need, total number of employees, annual gross receipts and critical business equipment or supplies. Leander City Council also is the sole and final authority in determining eligibility for funding.
City staff will review and present qualified applications to Leander City Council for final approval. Preference will be given to businesses that are not classified as an Essential Businesses and to Essential Business whose operations are restricted under state or local orders.
There is a limit of one grant per applicant, per funding period. This funding period will expire on May 31, 2020, but may also be extended by Leander City Council at a later date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as a limited amount of funding is available for this program.
To qualify for funding under this program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- The business must be located in the corporate city limits of Leander, and must be in compliance with all applicable zoning, land use, and other ordinances. Home based businesses are not eligible.
- The applicant must have a business with 50 or fewer employees.
- The applicant must demonstrate that a negative financial impact has occurred due to COVID-19.
- The business must be a legal business entity registered with the State Comptroller’s Office.
- The applicant must submit a balance sheet. Additional financial records such as a profit-and-loss statements may be also requested for review.
- The applicant must not have any existing code violations or violations of City ordinances.
- The applicant must be current on all property and sales taxes due and must show evidence of payroll taxes withheld and remitted.
Leander City Council will be the sole and final authority in determining eligibility for funding.
Eligible expenditures for grant funding would include:
- Lease or commercial mortgage payments
- Utility payments
- Critical business equipment or supplies
How to Apply
Applicants are encouraged to submit a fully completed application digitally by emailing the completed forms and necessary attachments to EconDev@leandertx.gov. If applicants are unable to submit electronically, a physical copies can be dropped off at City Hall using the Utility Billing Dropbox. Please address all physical applications to the Economic Development Department.
To access the application for the City of Leander’s COVID-19 Emergency Grant Program, please Click Here.
COVID-19 Emergency Business Grant Application