Comprehensive Plan Update
The City of Leander adopted an update to the Comprehensive Plan on October 15, 2015.
Destination Leander was the City’s planning effort to update the Comprehensive Plan. A Comprehensive Plan is best described as a guide to the City’s future. The Comprehensive Plan will inform current and future decision makers where we are now, where we want to go, how we intend to get there, and who will help us along the way.
Download the Destination Leander Comprehensive Plan
- It defines the City’s biggest assets and challenges
- It makes recommendations about the type and character of development appropriate in different parts of the City
- It recommends and prioritize policies, key projects, and resources and determines implementation partners
- It provides guidance to the City in developing and directing future capital budgets
- It serves as the basis for zoning recommendations throughout the City
The City needs an updated Comprehensive Plan because Leander is growing and changing. Leander has experienced exceptional growth over the past two decades. From a population of just 6,493 in 1990, to a 2015 population estimate of 38,206 residents, the City has evolved from a small, hill country community to a thriving suburban destination in Central Texas. Leander’s location, high quality school system and relatively low cost of living continue to draw thousands of residents to its boundaries.
Leander looks forward to continued growth. Recent infrastructure projects including the toll road and MetroRail line strengthen the link between local residents and the nation’s fastest growing economy in Austin. It is expected that more than 14,000 housing units will be added to the City’s supply during the next ten years. Local leaders recognize that for Leander to capitalize on this market opportunity an update to the Comprehensive Plan was needed.